Thursday, August 30, 2012

The House of the Scorpion


If you are looking for a fast-paced, good science fiction read, I really recommend the House of the Scorpion. Nancy Farmer did an exceptional job!!!!! Now... a little bit about this book.

This book takes place in the future- when clones are now harvested from cows, and with a single drop of DNA, another whole human being can be created. Except cloning has been turned illegal for multitudes of reasons. Rules are rules, yes, but power is power. And El Patron is very powerful. Ever heard of the saying: 'If there is a will, there's a way."? Well, El Patron had the will. The will to made himself a clone. And he made a way. With El Patron's will, and his power-hungry ways, Matteo Alacran is born. No. Matt was not 'born'. He was harvested. Little does Matteo know the hard journey he's cloned self with have to walk. Little does he know, even, about himself. As a boy that everyone believes is a monster, he isn't exactly loved by everyone. In fact, it's closer to the fact that not a lot of people like him. The only ones that stick to his side is one dangerous bodyguard that blew up a bunch of kids, a servant/cook, an all-powerful drug lord, and an innocent girl. Wow. What a group. The only answer that Matt might be able to find seems to run away. Not the ideal answer, but the only one that won't get him killed. Really. Run away or stay with a senile drug lord that loves Matt as much as himself, because Matt is himself? Tough.

Nancy Farmer wrote an amazing novel of a clone and his adventure for freedom and to be free from the Opium Field. Personally, I was never quite the person for Sci-Fi, but this book completely changed my views on sci-fi novels. With a touch of friendship, confusion, blissful ignorance, misplaced trust, and reading, The House of the Scorpion is an amazing masterpiece that I recommend to everyone from ages 11 to adults. For teachers, it's one book that would be a great read for kids in read-aloud. With powerful characters, enchanting plot twists, and an astounding adventure of Matteo's pursuit of freedom, I can definitely say Nancy Farmer is definitely an author that writes amazing books. From The Girl Named Disaster to The Arm, The Ear, and The Eye, The House of the Scorpion is one to be enjoyed by a variety of people. I definitely think that sci-fi lovers should read this book, as well as people do don't enjoy sci-fi as much. Just because it is a positively amazing book and you will not be able to tear your eyes away from. I think that this is a book that is really worth buying because of the the fact that it really isn't easy to tire from this book- I read it about 5 times over and over again, and I still think that if I read it again, I wouldn't be able to rip my eyes away. And for any kids that are reading this review, I know that some of you will have misgivings about those three awards, but really, I have them too- that thing that nags the back of my mind when I pick up a book that has awards at the cover. But really, I promise that you will be able to fall right into the powerful context of this book as soon as you open it. Because I did too. Just start with an open mind. Soon you will find yourself loving everything from Matt's young innocence to El Patron's old, and powerful presence, to Tam Lin's intimidating friendship with Matteo. This book is will give you a look into the future of a thin strip of poppy fields between old America and Mexico. A little looking into the future of a clone named Matteo Alacran. Who is not a real boy. But property.

If you find this book as amazing as I thought it was, here are a few other titles by Nancy Farmer that I am positive you will enjoy:

'The Arm, The Ear, and The Eye'

and 'The Girl Named Disaster'

Warning:
They are indeed all pretty long books, but I guarantee you satisfaction (like real satisfaction- not like those ads that make it seem all great and stuff.... But I mean that they will be able to enchant you into the depths of each character's adventure) if you walk into each world with an open mind.

**** I give this book a 9.8889999999999 out of 10. Amazing!****

No comments:

Post a Comment