Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When You Reach Me

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267379013l/5310515.jpg
Rebecca Stead writes a beautiful novel about Miranda and her best friend, Sam. However, when a boy punches Sam in the stomach for no apparent reason, Sam starts shading away from Miranda. Miranda is tough and manages to pull through. Still, there are notes that keep on coming to her- mysterious anonymous notes. Can Miranda find out who is passing them? Rebecca is an amazing author and I enjoyed this book very much. Also, I found it funny that there was a mentioning of A Wrinkle in Time and I did a blog about that as well.
I did read this book twice as it will make much more sense that way. I think that this is a book is one everyone should read and if people don't... Well... They'll be missing out. In this book, Miranda struggles to understand the Laughing Man at the corner, Marcus, the boy that hit Sam, Sam, her ex-friend, and Julie, the girl that is so different from her. Secrets veiled away from our eyes and Miranda's. Will she be able to lift her veil?

Here is an important excerpt from the story:

'I feel happy. I smile and grab Mom's hands and jump up and down with her. I let go of her and raise my arms over my head and feel the audience roar louder.
I am not thinking of the wall-to-wall carpet, or the trip to China.
I am jumping up and down because at the very moment Dick Clark said the word "Go," it was like an invisible hand reached out and snatched away my veil. And almost a minute, I understood everything. When that veil isn't hanging down right in front of a person's face, a minute is long enough to realize a lot of things.'

***I give this book a 9.5 out of 10!****

No comments:

Post a Comment