Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kobo Mini


So, I got a new Kobo- the kobo mini. It was just there, at Costco, so I decided to buy it, and try it out!

The first thing that I need to set clear about the kobo is that there are hardly any free ebooks. It's hard to find good ebooks that are free, and even then, most of them are trials or samplers. However, it is true that most ebooks are cheaper than you could buy them for paper copies, and classics are pretty cheap. If you are looking for free books, though, you shouldn't buy the kobo, seeing you do have to pay. Your best bet would be to look towards the internet- the gutenberg project is a good site- second link on google. Or I will post the link below. However, since I have such mixed feelings towards the kobo for now, I will make Pros, and Cons.

Pros:
- your eyes won't get bad, unlike the computer, your phone, ipads, ipods, etc.
- it's extremely light and portable
- you can get discounts on books- they're less expensive
- you can store up to 1000 books on it
- you can control the font size, zoom, and other reading settings
- you can hook the kobo up with Facebook, so you can track your readings
- it's easy to use
- the battery is good for a month
- it has a anit-glare screen.
- the speed is pretty good.

Cons:
- it's slightly small
- There really aren't many free books, and most of them are samples or excerpts.
- you need to make a kobo account
- you can't read it anywhere dark
- the screen is black and white
- it's sort of hard to start at the beginning and takes a lot of time.


Overall, it's pretty good and I like it, it's good for my reading, and also for my eyes. 

*** I give the kobo a 8.9 out of 10! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment