Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sundancer by Shelley Peterson


"It's time to tell my story.
I am big and I am beautiful. When I run, I run like the wind, and when I jump, I jump like a deer. I am a winner."

Undoubtedly, I am a bit of a horse-a-holic. Even my riding teacher says so-- I'm down flat obsessed with horses, whether I'm riding them, or just standing next to them. However, you don't have to be a horse-a-holic to enjoy this amazing book. One of the Saddle Creek Books, its beautifully written, and personally, I loved this book sooo much. It's right up there along with Black Beauty. I think it would be safe to say that this book is one of my favourites. It's soooo good I cannot even begin to explain how good it is!! Highest praises to Shelley Peterson!!!

Many know of the classic Black Beauty-- the gorgeous black horse with a star on his forehead, perfect. And yes, another horse tale. Meet Sundancer and Bird, our main protagonists for the story. Sundancer is a sleek chestnut gelding with... problems. He's learnt not to trust, not to let anyone ride him, and not to get abused. He takes pride in everything he stands for, and will not approve of anyone changing that. Personally, Sundancer reminds of a certain horse I know by the name of Sebastian... They cause trouble, but in the right care, they are amazing horses that know how to strut their stuff. Sundancer is suspicious of everyone and everything, from a broomstick to trailers. He has a fear of surprises, and had a penchant for running away. Over all, he's just a really difficult horse. Along with him, meet Bird. Bird, otherwise known as Alberta, is a bit of an interesting girl. She's selectively mute, due to incidents when she was younger. Her mother, Eva, thinks of Bird as nothing other than a possession, and has sent her off for her aunt to take care of Bird. Hannah, Bird's aunt, loves Bird, but sometimes, it can be difficult to live with someone who's mute. Meanwhile, Bird is hurt by her mother's actions and coldness towards her, and misses her sister dearly. She cares for animals deeply, and has an incredibly special connection with them. Even though she doesn't speak to people, she can and does speak to animals. Inside her little world, Bird hides an incredibly witty, smart girl, who is compassionate and even has feelings. Little by little, this difficult horse and Bird make slight connections, helping each other, probing each other, and just being there for one another. The makings of a beautiful horse and rider relationship.

I think I really enjoyed this book especially because I could kind of relate Sundancer to a horse I personally know. At my stables, there are quite a few horses which started off being problematic them turned out to become fine school horses with a bit of spitfire... Although I have never in my life met a person who had become selectively mute, I do work as a volunteer for therapeutic riding every week, and so I know the feeling of feeling that I'm missing out on something in a different world. However, it is shown in the book how Bird has emotions as powerful as any other person, and you end up really connecting to her frustrations, difficulties, and her successes.

Telling about the bond between and a girl and her horse, this books reminds everyone that we all have our bad days sometimes, some more often than others. However, even if you're having a bad day, or your partner is, it's always nice to think about them as well as yourself. Shelley Peterson is really an amazing writer that will whisk you into the world of horses, and lead you through the beginning and the end of Sundancer and Bird's own stories. Each chapter starts off with Sundancer's words, which are impressive and touching. This story is filled with love, anger, resent, and forgiveness. Amazing book!

I recommend this book to everyone, especially horse lovers. It's amazingly written, and astoundingly touching! I love love love it!

***I give this book a 10000000000000 out of 10!!!!!!!!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment