Tuesday, June 17, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire


Ahhhh.... The last book in the Mortal Instruments series (I hope...), I decided to give it one last try, and bought it. My advice? Don't. It's really not worth the money. The plot already basically exerted itself by City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels if I try to be nice. By now, this series has kind of lost all it's value as a novel, but has become this kind of fanfiction for people who really really want to get all the really weird details about Jace and Clary's love life... errrr ick? I still think that this series has been dragging on for wayyyy to long, but for the sake of finishing what I started, I'll see it through.

I am glad, however, that Cassandra Clare managed to kill off a character without reviving it in the next paragraph. I applaud you. *slow clap* If you want to start this series, number one, don't if you're like me and need to finish some series that you start. Number two, just stop reading at around City of Fallen Angels. Number three, just don't trouble yourself... I hardly ever say this, but this book was 725 pages ( I read every single one of them... ) of absolute fluff, and bull. Terrifying. I think I just found the book to match the terrible-ness of Twilight. Almost. At least it's decent writing though... Then again, at least Twilight actually kind of had a plot...

Cassandra Clare is loosing her touch quickly on the Mortal Instruments series. It's good that she was able to wrap it up. Now, she is beginning yet another new series-- The Dark Artifices. We'll see how good that series will turn out to be!

In City of Heavenly Fire, we are again faced with our very favourite characters: Clary Fray, the Jace's one weakness, Jace Herondale/Lightwood/whatever, who never seems to die when he should have died a LONG time ago, Alec Lightwood, the gay one, Isabella Lightwood, the bad girl who has a thing for vampires with glasses, and much more. Oh, can't forget Simon Lewis of the 'I-should-be-dead-but-I'm-a-sparkly-vampire ohwaitwhat, and Magnus Bane. Not really sure how to describe Magnus, so I'll leave it at that. All together, they make a slightly ridiculous group, to be quite frank. Along with this gaggle of characters comes lots and lots of kissing, fighting (of course), and angry disputes with adults, whether that be the Clave, or the parents. Last but not least, meet the antagonist of basically the whole series, except not really because for the first few books Valentine was the antagonist: Sebastian Morgenstern. Ahhh.... The beautiful evil of this guy never ends to astound me. He is overall a very confusing and apparently very evil character? I think? 

I recommend this book to... Actually I don't recommend this book to anyone, unless somebody out there really likes reading plotless stuff about love lives that kind of got old already. Okay! 'Till next time!

*** I give this book a 6.7 out of 10. The 6 coming from its ability to make me entertained, and the 0.7 going to the semi-decent writing.***

No comments:

Post a Comment