Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Girl's Guide to Homelessness by Brianna Karp



One of my more recent reads, The Girl's Guide to Homelessness is actually quite a good book, I found. I was really surprised that this was a memoir-- it really doesn't seem like something that would happen to someone. It's so realistic that it's scary... However, I do think that it's just that much better because it's that real-- the whole thing about her being homeless, her adventure, and her struggles really get to you because you know that it's a memoir- that this actually happened, and that it wasn't fiction. To be honest, I don't really like reading memoirs. They bore me, and honestly, I'm busy enough trying to get a hold of my life... However, I picked this one up because I decided that I would try it out.

It didn't disappoint. Brianna Karp really is a great writer with an amazing story to tell. Whether she had a happy ending or not, it was highly entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's an amazing tale that shows a little insight to life on the road, and life in general. It's not all unicorns and rainbows; it's full of hardships, loss, and heartbreak as well. Even then, the strongest of all will find a way to cope through everything. They are the survivors. Brianna Karp is a survivor. She takes everything that happens to her, and keep moving on.

"If you saw me walking down the street, you wouldn't assume I live in a parking lot. I am just like you, except without the convenience of a permanent address."

The Girl's Guide to Homelessness tell a touching tale of a girl from an abusing family who had a good life, until she didn't. It's a very good book/ memoir thing, and I recommend it to anyone who thinks their life is bad, and all teens. I think it was an eye opener to me, because of the amount of things that I take for granted... However, I don't recommend this to children-- there's crude language, dark themes, and mature things in the story. After all, who said life wasn't dark...

***I give this book/memoir a 9.5 out of 10***

1 comment: