Sunday, September 7, 2014

Awake and Dreaming by Kit Pearson


Confession time! I only took this book because it was by Kenneth Oppel. Alright! On with the show!

Awake and Dreaming is yet another family oriented novel. Written by Kit Pearson, it deals with friends, loneliness, and the meaning of family. Theo, the main character, can't stop dreaming about belonging to a 'real' family. With an irresponsible, young, mother, Theo feels trapped within her poverty-stricken life. Therefore, when she is mysteriously adopted into the large, warm Kaldor family, her dream is suddenly brought to life. Yet such things cannot last forever. Too soon, she finds herself back with her mother, and her new life starts to fade away. Was it a dream? Will  Theo ever be able to find her perfect family?

I have to say that it was indeed a touching book, but it had moments where it left my slightly baffled. For example, how could Theo think that was a dream?? Also, the ending slightly left me in doubts as well. Overall, a good book with a few faulty details. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it didn't make sense, however.

I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about families and finding the meaning of having a true family. I also recommend it to people who enjoyed 'Waiting for Normal' as it is pretty similar. Just because it's a Puffin Classic doesn't mean you should be fazed by it! It's a good read, not overly emotional so it won't make you cry, but you'll definitely close the book with a smile.

***I give this book a 8.4 out of 10***

No comments:

Post a Comment