Friday, September 5, 2014

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

"If you ain't scared, you ain't human.'

As many people probably know already, The Maze Runner by James Dashner is coming out into theaters soon. Therefore, sales of this books have rocketed, as everyone is trying to read the book before the movie comes out. I am, in fact, one of those people. I saw the trailer, even though I did know of this series beforehand, I hadn't gone out of my way to read it. After watching the trailer, I inquired towards a friend whether or not it was a worthwhile read, and she responded that the first book was great, but the same couldn't be said for the next books. After a bit of contemplation, I decided to read it.

I am now going to make the blandest of the bland statements. I liked it. It wasn't like 'OMG IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND A WORK OF ART' amazing like The Fault in Our Stars or Harry Potter or Artemis Fowl, but none the less, it was a good read. It entertained, and sucked you into the Labyrinth. In my opinion, it's a bit like the Hunger Games, especially the end. There are parts where it gets slightly boring, but for the most part, it's pleasantly action packed, whether they be fighting Grievers or trying to puzzle a way out. 

Meet our main character, Thomas. When he wakes up in a lift, his memory is gone. The one thing he can remember is his name. And he's surrounded by other boys. Their memories, also gone. Yet somehow, Thomas is not like the rest of the boys. When he comes, everything starts to change. He brings something no one in the Glade has thought to have before. Curiosity. All the boys stay in the Glade, a small area in the middle of the Maze. Around the Glade are towering walls. Over them? An ever shifting maze. There's no way out but the maze. Yet no one's ever made it. Then, one day a girl arrives. The very first girl ever. And with her she bring a mysterious and haunting message.

'Remember. Run. Survive.'

James Dashner wrote a bewitching tale of a group of boys, a girl, and a maze. Will they be able to make it out alive? Read on and watch the movie.

***I give this book a 8.4 out of 10!***

No comments:

Post a Comment