Saturday, September 20, 2014

One Come Home by Amy Timberlake


'So it comes to this,
I remember thinking on Wednesday, June 7, 1871. The date sticks in my mind because it was the day of my sister's first funeral, and I knew it wasn't her last-- which is why I left.'

A Newbery Honour Book by Amy Timberlake, One Came Home talks about a very special girl by the name of Georgie Burkhardt. Set in the town of Placid, Wisconsin, this book is a journey filled with adventure and mystery, as well as wild pigeons.

In her town, Georgie is known for two very distinguishing things. One, her uncanny aim with a rifle, and two, her habit of being extremely candid. One of these things sets her off on a wild journey, and the other saves her on her wild journey. It all starts with her sister. After Georgie says something that sends her sister running off from home, the sheriff comes back to town with an unidentifiable body wearing Agatha, her sister's, blue-green ball gown. Immediately, everyone assumes the worst. Everyone other than Georgie. Georgie refuses to believe that her sister is truly dead and goes off to find her and bring her back. However, even through her grim determination, Georgie is not well prepared to go out and face the Western frontier. In a journey to find her sister or closure, she will run into hostile people, make a friend by the name of Long-Ears, and learn secrets.

Amy Timberlake really wrote this book extremely well, especially with all the plot twists inside the story. It's an adventure story to the very last, and one that will keep you seeking to find the answers until the very end of the book. I did not expect what found me at the ending, but I was satisfied. It may not have been what I had been looking to find, but worked all the same. It's a very good book, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys journeys, along with a little touch of drama and romance!

***I give this book a 8.99 out of 10!***

No comments:

Post a Comment