Monday, September 15, 2014

The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare


I picked this book up expecting it to be absolutely downright amazing! However, great expectations are bound to fall short. I mean, sure, I liked the book, but it wasn't breathtakingly amazing...

'Fire wants to burn.
Water wants to flow.
Air wants to rise.
Earth wants to bind.
Chaos wants to devour.'

Yep, it's another magic and elements book. Many of you are probably familiar with Cassandra Clare and Holly Black, but if not, they're both pretty good authors (although Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument series.... Yeah... No.) that you should check out if you have the time.

This book tells about one very interesting boy by the name of Callum Hunt. Now, in this world, most kids would do anything to pass the Iron Trial. Except for Callum Hunt. Nope, his very wish is to fail. So he tries his best to fail. And miserably fails at failing. Now the Magisterium waits for him, looming with its secrets in Callum's path. Little does Callum know that the Iron Trial is just the very beginning to his magical and unknown future.

This was an alright read, the action kept the story rolling and the plot kept things mysterious and on edge, but if I were to pick one thing, it would be that the story lost me at places, especially when big revelations happened one after another, which kept me spinning around in the dark. I had to reread a couple of paragraphs, but other than that, it was mostly on track.

I recommend this book to people who enjoy adventure or fantasy reads, and especially to any magic fans. It's not an overly thick read so you won't get too tired of it before you put it down, and it's good to carry around, in my opinion!

***I give this book a 8.2 out of 10***

No comments:

Post a Comment