Monday, August 18, 2014

Owning It: Stories About Teens with Disabilities Edited by Donald R. Gallo


I'm not sure what brought me to taking this book out from the library, but it may have been my love for The Fault in Our Stars.And honestly, I am do not regret picking it up. It's an amazing read that will touch you deeply. Covering Tourette's to cancer, it's honestly a set of downright amazing stories. Personally, my favourite was either Gail Giles's comical and informative story on Alex, who has Tourette's, or Robert Lipsyte's story on an elite task force whose number-one enemy is cancer. Hilarious yet stirring at the same time, these ten stories by ten different authoring will leave you with a lot on your mind.

Kudos to David Lubar (Here's To Good Friends), Gail Giles (Tic and Shout), Julie Anne Peters (Triclops), Chris Crutcher (Under Control), Brenda Woods (Way Too Cool), Ron Koertge (Good Gands), Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson (See You), Rene Saldana Jr. (Fatboy and Skinnybones), Alex Flinn (Braniac), and Rober Lipsyte (Let's Hear it for Fire Team Bravo) for being able to intuitively give us readers an insight into the life of a teen with a 'disability' (because I really honestly don't think cancer can be called a disability...). All of them are well written in their own little ways, and I think that they are all really interesting to read, whether or not they be exactly how they 'teens with disabilities' feel.

I think that the authors did do a rather good job of telling stories through the eyes of a disabled teen (I really despise that phrase...) but I can't be the judge of that, as I haven't fought with cancer, nor do I have asthma. However, I can relate with all the teens in the book-- life really does look desolate sometimes. But always think: Superman lent me his cape/ Didn't fit/ Had to weave my own/ From steely dreams/ Here I come. So here's to living on through hardships. Show some moxie!

Some of the stories in this book are slightly confusing, whether that be slightly confusing in the writing itself, or whether it be because that's the author's interpretation of the mind of their character, I'm not sure. However, you cannot dismiss the amazing content of this story. Although the stories are all slightly heartbreaking sometimes disguised with humor, they're all survival stories.

''Cancer can kill you, but you don't have to kiss its butt.'

Everyone needs to read this book-- honestly, it's an amazing book that will really peel your eyes open to the world of teens and their hardships. I guarantee that you will love it, especially so if you have read The Fault in Our Stars and enjoyed it. Honestly, this is a great book that I think many people will enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, it will at least be an eye opener. Maybe the next time you decide to pick on the blind guy or the girl who's suffering from brain damage, you'll think twice.

I'll leave you with my favorite excerpt from this book. And yes. It's hilarious. If you read the whole story.

'"Welcome to Fire Team Bravo," I said, grabbing his hand and pumping it. "I'm Sergeant Moxie, your team leader."
"What?" He stared at me.
"Team means you're not alone. brothers got your back."
He snarled, "Get out."
"I like that-- you're a fighter. All you need to know right now is that cancer can kill you, but you don't have to kiss its butt. Later I'll give you some poems to read. What's your name?"
His mouth was so dry his tongue clicked. Scared spitless. "Connor."
"What kind of name is that?" said my Intel chief, Maverick. 
"We'll fix it," I said.'

***I give this book a 9.7 out of 10, hands down. Great book!***

No comments:

Post a Comment