Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Ah, yes. Maggie Stiefvater. I picked this book up because I had decided that I didn't really mind romance stories by Maggie Stiefvater that much (after the Shiver series), and I was interested to see what all this buzz about The Raven Boys was about.

Some people may disagree with me, yet I didn't especially like this book. Actually, I think it would be pretty accurate to say that it completely lost me. By the middle of the book I felt like I was in the labyrinth. By the end of the book I was just too mad to care about what happened to Blue and Gansey and Adam and whatever. This was my mentality: '....what? .....What??? ....WHAT? Wait what whatever, this book doesn't even make sense. Rage-quit...' What have I got to say about myself? Ah well. What have I got to say about the book? Just, whatever.

I'm not going to say this book was terrible. Many people like it after all, and I'm not one to dictate what books people should like and dislike. But I didn't like it. So no flames please, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm going around looking for an argument with someone who does. I just found the plot very disorganized, the characters flat, and the story very mildly interesting. To say the least, it was a disappointment from Shiver.

Maggie Stiefvater apparently has her good books and her bad books. I actually enjoyed the Shiver series, but I'm afraid I cannot say the same for The Raven Boys. Sure, the plot is very complex, but in my opinion, poorly carried out. The beauty of good writing is that the authour is able to guide their readers through a labyrinth to the end without loosing people. Which, she clearly failed to do for me...

I still recommend this to romance lovers and plot-twist lovers as many people seem to enjoy this book, much much much more than I did. And if you liked this book? Good for you-- now go read the second book-- The Dream Thieves.

***I give this book a 6.5 out of 10***

No comments:

Post a Comment