Friday, July 6, 2012

Koln (Cologne) Cathedral (Kölner Dom)

After riding the Eurostar to Paris, France, I took the Thalys to Cologne (Koln), Germany. I had an okay time- it only took around two hours. Again, I was buried in a book.

In Koln (I'm just going to say Koln), I saw the Koln Cathedral (I believe that the Germans call it Kölner Dom) and had to agree that it was indeed a masterpiece. The building itself was massive and I can see why the army bombing Germany did not wish to harm it. The Koln Cathedral is located right outside of the station that we got off the Thalys and when you first exit, your eye will land upon it. At first, it looks like a building with fifty shades of black on it (does anyone know that book 50 Shades of Grey? It's an adult book, and I haven't read it, but it is supposedly good), but on closer inspection, it is rather a grand and formal-looking building. It is so massive in size that if you wish to take a photo of yourself and it, it would be recommended that the person who is taking it crouches down and takes a picture of it as if you take a front photo, only so much of the Cathedral will come out. It is massive and nice and dirty in colour (did you know that it was supposed to be white?), but beautiful all the same. However, you just haven't gone in yet.

http://www.hamburg-web.de/fotos/original/10804-koelner-dom.jpg
Ouside of the Kölner Dom

What is inside the Kölner Dom? Well, stained glass for one, some statues as well. But the stained glass in not just  'stained glass'. It's amazing- it's artwork on glass. It's artwork that I can barely do well on paper, done perfectly on glass. It's amazing, it is beautiful, it just takes away your breath when you walk in. Thought cathedrals were boring? Think again. I have decided now that if I had a pair of binoculars, and I was inside of the cathedral, I would be able to stare at the window for hours. The 'wowness' of those stained glasses cannot be put into words, nor pictures. I hope that it is a sight that you are able to see one day! The Kölner Dom is a masterpiece outside and inside. Once you get inside, you will see the beauty of stained glasses that you wouldn't probably have ever felt before!

To any German readers: One question.... How do you say Koln or Cologne? How do you spell it? I personally don't really know- I only spent two days in Germany- it was quite nice. I just don't want to call Koln or Cologne the wrong way....... Is in said 'Quelehn'? "Colone?" Thank you and please don't think badly of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment