Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Louvre- Mona Lisa

On my second day in Paris, France, I decided to pay a visit to the Louvre, targeting one certain piece of artwork in general: the Mona Lisa by Leonardo DaVinci. It's a very, very, very, famous painting, and one that is very well-known. However, I was a bit unsatisfied at the fact that number one, the Mona Lisa was smaller than I had expected. It was hardly the size of a poster board- not even. Also, they put several panes of glass up, so that getting a clear photo of the Mona Lisa was impossible. Of course, they had two guards standing next to the Mona Lisa at all times, not to mention a wooden bar around it. Due to that fact, you could not get very close to the Mona Lisa, and even with a professional camera, taking a great photo wasn't an easy task. If you use the quick-snaps, you won't be able to see it- the actual screen goes black- there is not enough light that enters the camera to make sure that it is seen. I was a bit mad because they didn't even let you go up to the photo to see the actual picture, so it may have been a fake, even (however sure I'm pretty sure that it isn't a fake, there was no way I could make sure). Did you know that DaVinci even printed his initials in super tiny letters into parts of the picture? In the original printing, they would have the letters, and therefore, I would know that it wasn't faux. Due to the fact that it was so far away, and we were positioned around five feet away from the picture, not to mention around five panes of glass in between, it was very hard to get a good look at the supposedly real picture, and the initials that would have proved it real. Yet having said that, I wonder that even if I had looked at it up close, would I been able to spot the tiny initials? Also, I see why they would want to guard the Mona Lisa so fiercely that no one could come less than five meters to it, after the many incidents that had happened with it getting damaged or stolen. After all, even if it isn't that large and it is fiercely guarded, it is the Mona Lisa, with her lopsided smile, and I have to admit, Leonardo, you were an epic drawer!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you will go to the Louvre one day and get to see the Mona Lisa for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment